In a Twitter chat last night for #livewellnow with @FitFluential, the question arose about having an accountability partner or buddy. It’s funny this came up because yesterday I was asked to be someone’s accountability partner for 2012. Not for fitness but for business. I happily agreed and it started me thinking – smart idea and we ALL need an accountability partner.
I’m quite lucky to have Cheryl @XXfounder (follow her, funny as hell) as my business partner and in that relationship we also keep each other accountable for what’s happening week to week.
If you’re looking for an accountability partner – post below in the comments.
There was great advice from people in the chat last night. Here are some great tweets:
-@FitFluential Start keeping an activity journal and log at least every other day At Bia Sport – we can help with this because we’ve built an everyday activity journal for you!
-@MizFitOnline for me the acct.partners doent even need 2 train w/me or live here! texts, emails, calls can help too
-@SwimBikeMom - accountability is everything. That’s why I blog…. so people we can keep each other moving!
- @Dabobie - I don’t think I’d have running & weight loss that I do…if not for online accountability. My support is awesome.
At Bia Sport we appreciate accountability! We let you set goals and post them to Facebook, Twitter asking friends to help keep you accountable. We then automatically track your activities to your goals so your friends can keep cheering you on! Join us in our launch http://launch.bia-sport.com!
When it comes to fitness/training and diet, that becomes a little more challenging. I’m not really going to blog each time I eat a gingersnap or slogged on a workout but coming clean to an accountability buddy could be a pretty motivating factor.
There are not many things that can increase producitivity and motivate you in such a drastic way than having an accountability partner. It is probably one of the single most effective ways to become more productive and successful.
Here are 5 reasons why you DO need an accountability partner:
1. Accountability partner increases your productivity & activity: You can’t make excuses if your partner won’t let you stand on weak excuses. Yes, there’s a little guilt in there too
2. Accountability partner keeps you on track: They can help you stay on track towards reaching your goals and creating a life by design rather than by whatever the cat drags in.
3. Accountability partner gives you freedom: Don’t pick a moral giant as your partner. Pick someone who is firm with you but has struggles of their own. If they’ve struggled through it themselves, you’ll get a sense of freedom knowing it’s possible.
4. Accountability partner gives you encouragement: Need I say more? Whether it’s the text or the conversation each week – that’s encouragement and also gives small milestones to stay on track towards your goal.
5. Accountability partner means you’re never alone: Accomplishing goals are great. Crossing the finish line is an amazing feeling but the journey to get there relies on not just you, but your network. Keep a good support network!