Last week we shared our excitement over the successful testing of our Go Stick’s GPS receptivity. This week, the Go Stick is at the center of our latest challenge.
As we’ve been nailing down the details for manufacturing, we’ve discovered that the Go Stick’s design needs some reconfiguring to best protect its parts as they come off the line so they aren’t compromised, or even broken, in the manufacturing process. Unfortunately, this reconfiguring means we need to make a big decision. One option is to reconfigure in such a way that the Go Stick is bigger than originally designed. It would still be small and fit into our pockets, but it wouldn’t be as small, and it wouldn’t be the compact product we envisioned. The other choice is to choose materials that will maintain our original ‘smaller than a pack of gum’ dimensions, but that could also run the risk of some delay, which could mean that everything from field testing to final ship dates could be bumped out by a few weeks. What to do?!
Ultimately, we are focused on delivering the product we promised as close as possible to the time we estimated, and obviously, protecting the quality of the materials in our product is our top priority. But not so obvious is, if push comes to shove, which do we give up: the integrity of our design, or the reliability of our estimated delivery dates? We believe in our design, but we are also loyal to–and very fond of–you, our backers and customers, and we hate asking any of you to wait. We are beyond anxious to see our watch on everyone’s wrists.
After spending the last week sporting a mock Go Stick in the larger size, we’re pretty sure we’ve made our decision and we will definitely announce it loud and clear when all is set. In the meantime, which way would you go?